ZephIR Lidar pioneered the use of wind lidar in the wind industry over 10 years ago; today, lidar is becoming increasingly established as a valuable technique in a wide variety of applications such as resource assessment, power curve measurement and turbine control. We are seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and motivated individual to become a crucial member of ZephIR’s world-class R&D team, providing expertise on lidar and conventional anemometry and wind data analysis.
Based at our Ledbury office close to Malvern, U.K., you will report to ZephIR’s Senior Data Analyst, and you will be responsible for performing rigorous analysis of data sets from masts and lidars. You will use correlation techniques to improve our understanding of wind speed data and develop new algorithms to improve the data processing. The role will involve opportunities for travel, and for direct interaction with ZephIR’s clients all over the world. ZephIR is committed to developing its cutting-edge scientific solutions for the wind industry, providing opportunities for peer-reviewed publication and participation in leading conferences and technical meetings.
Specific tasks are likely to include:
- Analysis of ZephIR datasets from ground-based and turbine-mounted deployments in various data formats including 10-minute averaged, 1-second and raw spectral.
- Use of correlation analysis and physical models to contribute to development of algorithms to improve lidar performance.
- Hands-on involvement in measurement campaign planning and lidar deployment
- Provide support and leading role on other R&D activities into a wide variety of topics including wind resource, turbulence, power curves, nacelle-mounted lidar, turbine performance optimisation
- Assist with preparation of reports to clients, and perform client training courses
- Degree in scientific area (or working towards); excellent mathematical ability
- Highly computer literate and working knowledge of MS Office suite. Experience with higher level scientific tools (e.g. Mathematica, Matlab) and C++, or Python
- Knowledge of wind energy technology, databases and signal processing
- Knowledge of lasers (science and functionality) is desirable
- Practical in-field wind energy experience is desirable
- Some knowledge of turbine control systems is desirable